Sunday, August 15, 2010

Cairopractic

I read an article today that described the phenomenon of cruise ship travel, referring mainly to the pre-packaged quality of it all. I noticed this description perhaps because that is maybe the complete opposite way to describe my current city. It is a large city so there are brand names here and ramen noodles at the grocery store, but there's nothing pre-packaged about it.

Today we did some errands, which was an experience in of itself. Sarah took us to the bank to open an account. The banks close at 1pm for Ramadan, so the place was packed. Good thing Sarah's cousin knows someone at that particular branch and because he recognized Sarah we were able to jump to the front of the line and receive business class attention. This is how things work here. Some things they waived for us because they felt like it, some things they insisted we must have. When it was time to deposit some cash, my bankers ushered me past the lines of waiting customers and into the back room reserved only for large deposits (not that that applied to me). I'll be back next week to follow up on paperwork.

Now waiting out the hottest part of the day indoors before more adventures tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment